Monday, February 7, 2011

breakfast anyone?

we must be on the same wave-length because i have a few breakfast recipes too. here's my all-time favorite pancake recipe with 100% whole wheat.

Fluffy Pancakes
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 TB brown sugar
1 1/4 c milk (powdered milk works good too)
1 egg
3 TB melted butter or oil
Serve with plum syrup and fresh fruit and you have one tasty (and healthy) way to start your day!

Granola
I got this recipe from my cute mother-in-law. It's been a favorite ever since Parker was little...a whole 4 years ago.
10 c old fashioned oats
1 c wheat germ
2 1/2 c shredded coconut
2 c raw sunflower seeds
3 c crushed pecans, almonds, walnuts or combination of all
1 1/2 c brown sugar (firmly packed)
1 c water
1 c oil
1/2 c honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350. Combine oats, wheat germ, coconut, seeds and nuts. Blend well in Bosch or very large bowl. In a large saucepan combine everything else and heat on medium until all the sugars dissolve. DO NOT BOIL. Pour this over the dry ingredients and mix well. Spread onto 2 cookie sheets and bake for 20-30 minutes; stirring every 10 minutes or so. I use a Silpat on my jelly roll pans and it works great to keep food from sticking. Bake 15 minutes longer if you want it crunchier. Cook and store in airtight containers. Use within 6 months. Makes 20 cups.

Cinnamon-Butter Muffins
I really doubt these are that healthy. Hello, Butter is in the title of these bad boys. BUT, they are so dee-licious, that i had to share it with you. We make these as a special treat...like birthdays or holidays.

2 c flour (I substituted 1/2 c wheat and they were still pretty good)
2/3 c sugar (i'll have to do your trick next time sarah)
2 1/2 tsp baking pwd
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 egg
1 c plus 2 TB milk
6 TB melted butter (i use oil)
1 tsp vanilla
Mix dry, blend the wet; combine and stir till moist. Pour into 12 greased muffin tins and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. While still warm, dip in 1 TB melted butter, then in 1/4 c sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. So good! Serve with scrambled eggs and juice.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try your granola recipe. I'll post Dave's grandma's and mom's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what is a Silpat? Everytime I use Pam I think I'm going to get cancer of the lungs or stomach or intestines. But I'm not ready to go back to the old fashioned crisco. Tell me more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silpat is the name of this flimsy, woven material that is made by Demarle (from France I think). You can get it at places like Kitchen Kneads or other specialty kitchen shops. You lay it on your jelly roll pan and nothing will stick to it. It's so nice! You wash it only in hot water, never soap and they get kind of oily and slippery. They're great!

    ReplyDelete